Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Coaster 5K

I did my first 5K of the season!!
Husband had signed us up for the Coaster 5K while I was still pregnant with the thought that it would motivate me to get back in to running shape after the baby was born.
Not so much.
I've had a really hard time fitting work out time in to my schedule, meaning that I was totally unprepared for this race.


The night before the 5K the three big kids spent the night with grandparents, so all we had was the baby. We enjoyed a nice quiet dinner out and then headed home because I can no longer keep my eyes open past 10pm.


That morning, we got up early, dropped the baby off at grandma's house, and headed up to the race. We got there in plenty of time and walked around a little bit to stay warm. Because, you know, 55 degrees is really cold for us So Cal natives.



We lined up in the 14 minute mile pace group and tried to make our way around all of the walkers knowing that we would be "running" for at least the first mile.


I actually ran the whole first mile. At one point, I tried to stop, but Husband wouldn't let me. (Thank you Husband!!)


The rest of the race was a mixture of walking and running, all while trying to beat a pace of a 15 minute mile. I had recently downloaded the Runkeeper app to my phone, and it updates you every 5 minutes of your pace so that you can adjust accordingly. I had set it to a goal pace of 15 minutes per mile, so it made pacing really easy.


At the finish line of the race, there were lines and lines of boysenberry pie, and if you are from around these parts, you know that Knott's Berry Farm is known for their pie. Well, because of my whole sugar free until Easter thing, I had to say no. So my piece of pie came home as payment for babysitting the kids.



The race was fun and flat, and I would do it again in the future. It also made me painfully aware of how out of shape I am and how much training I have to do in order to be ready for my half marathon in september. I'm kind of starting to freak out. Only 5 months left!!!



1 comments:

Adrienne said...

Kendra that's awesome! You are amazing!

Post a Comment

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. =)