Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Beauty is Only Skin Deep

I have been struggling lately with feeling beautiful. 
I know that this is not new. 
I know that it is not a revelation. 


I look at myself in the mirror, and I see that I am overweight. 
That I have stretch marks. 
That I will have extra skin when I eventually reach goal.


And I wonder if I will ever feel beautiful.
Because I know that I can feel proud.
And I know that I can feel different.


I don't doubt the person that I am inside.
I know that I am all of the things that I want my daughter to be.
Compassionate, thoughtful, generous, responsible, loyal.


But the outside is, and will always be the issue.
I see women come in to work all of the time with complications from cosmetic surgery. 
Some women do it after losing large amounts of weight.
Some to prevent the aging process.
But they all take big risks to make their bodies look different. To look beautiful.


I've always thought that the wrinkles on my face and the stretch marks on my body tell my story.
They are a part of who I was, who I am, and who I will be.
But they are also a huge part of why I just don't feel beautiful. 
Because I raise my arm, and they are there. Staring right back at me, as if they are belittling my accomplishments and reminding me of my mistakes.
Reminding me that I was here to begin with.


So I guess I sit here and wonder if it is possible to ever feel beautiful on the outside. 
With stretch marks, and extra skin, and wrinkles.
Because when I see them on other people I think they are beautiful.
They tell stories. They add character. They make people unique.
So why do I not feel the same about myself?


3 comments:

Adrienne said...

I know exactly how you feel. I think it sure does take time to feel the way you look. But the stretch marks will fade. And if you lose at a nice slow pace your skin shouldn't be too loose. But YOU are beautiful!! And real beauty is from with in, like you said. A friend of mine always says, "Your husband thinks your hot just how you are. You are the only woman he sees naked, so let him see all of you." and she is not skinny. I bet your husband thinks your hot and doesn't even see the flaws you see :)

Lanie said...

LOOKING beautiful is not my top priority, but FEELING beautiful and BEING beautiful are. When all is said and done . . . it really doesn't matter what we LOOK like.

That said, I do hope you find some happiness in your day :-)

Weightless said...

We are own worst critics when it comes to our bodies. I'm glad you feel beautiful inside. I think with age, acceptance of our flaws and our selves become easier. And I'm willing to add that when you're at or near goal you will feel completely different about yourself.

Yeah, I have extra skin, and major stretchmarks around my tummy. I'm still not happy with that area but I feel like a more beautiful and healthy version of myself. That is a great feeling.


I made a post about a similar idea a while back, before you were my reader. http://waitandweightless.blogspot.com/2010/04/price-of-beauty.html

Post a Comment

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. =)