Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Brilliance

I had a brilliant idea this morning. At least I thought it was brilliant at the time.
 
Preschool is about a mile away from our house, and yet I have been loading the jogging stroller in the back of the van, driving to school to drop off Mallory, and then going for a walk/run with the boys in the jogger from the parking lot at school.
 
Well, the hatch on the back of the van no longer stays up automatically. You have to manually lift it, and then if you let go, it slams back down, meaning it would be next to impossible for me to get the jogger out of the van by myself. Cause the 3 year old is tall, but not tall enough to hold up the hatch for me.
 
So, I decided to walk the kids to school, and then go for a walk/run with the kids in the jogger. Sounds great in theory. Until you do the math and realize that 3 kids do not fit in a double jogging stroller. Which means that the 6 month old, who weighs at least 20 pounds, was strapped in the Baby Bjorn, while I pushed the other 70 pounds of kids in the stroller.
 
Now, I have lost over 20 pounds. But strapping the kid back on, thus strapping back on the approximate amount of weight that I have lost, made the walk SO HARD. I knew that the first half mile would be uphill, as it is part of my morning run, but I didn't realize how hard it was going to be pushing and carrying all of that extra weight!!
 
I was dripping sweat by the time I got Mallory to school, only to find out that my Nike + didn't log any of the mileage that I had just completed. Boo.
 
But I destrapped tank baby from my chest, and he took the other spot in the stroller. So off we went. I reset the Nike + and left my HRM running as we went the rest of my usual running route. I hardly ran at all, which I'm kind of disappointed about, but I'm having a hard time getting coordinated while running with my stroller. It feels really  awkward for some reason.
 
All in all, it turned out to be a great workout, with almost 700 calories burned in just under an hour. But I don't think I'll be walking to school again any time soon. Unless for some reason tank baby finds a new way to travel.



3 comments:

Weightless said...

I have a hard time running with a stroller. I think it's because I can't pump my arms.

Good for you on walking to school. It might seem small, but will make a big difference I'm sure.

Oh and I completely understand about adding on 20lbs. I've lost 71, and my 32 lbs child is getting too heavy to carry. The transformation is an amazing process.

Kimberly said...

What an awesome workout. I wish I knew how many calories I burn in my workouts. My only method for measuring is the amount of sweat I create! Yuck.

Great job!!!

Jen Newsham said...

That is an awesome idea! I know when I sweat like that, I am really working off the pounds. Good job!!

Post a Comment

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. =)